[SmartcardServices-Users] CAC Reader for OS 10.6.8

Shawn Geddis geddis at me.com
Fri Apr 5 08:57:09 PDT 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Rick & Tara Webster <ricktarawebster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I upgraded from OS 10.5 to 10.6.8 understanding that Snow Leopard had the CAC reader capability but didn't meet with success.  I'm now trying to find the drivers I need and keep running into walls.  Mac OS Forge, the site that led me to this page, offers help with OS 10.5 and 10.7 but not 10.6.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find the services update for 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Rick,

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard shipped with and was updated all the way thru 10.6.8 with all components of the SmartCardServices.

Your subject and message speak of a CAC Reader (Smart Card Reader), which is supported by the CCID Class Driver shipped with OS X.  Reading between the lines of your message, I believe you are really saying is that your particular card may not be recognized by your system.  If so, this would mean you are asking for an updated Tokend to support a newer CACNG or an alternative Smart Card -- both of which would require updates to the Tokend.

Maybe we need a bit more explanation as to what steps you are taking and what you are having issues with to be sure we pinpoint the real need.

So for quick clarification on what comes from where:

10.5.0-10.5.3	- Apple shipped all components in Mac OS X Leopard
10.5.4-10.5.8	- Mac OS Forge development incorporated by Apple into 10.5.6
10.6.0-10.6.8	- Iterative updates from Apple (developed thru MacOSForge)
10.7.0-10.7.5	- Mac OS Forge updates; Apple deprecated "Tokend"
10.8.0-10.8.x		- Mac OS Forge dev continues...
10.?

- Shawn
Shawn Geddis				  			          geddis at me.com
Enterprise Security Consulting Engineer, Apple     geddis at apple.com

MacOSForge: Smart Card Services  Project Lead:
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/