[SmartcardServices-Users] How to access an ST-1044U?

Douglas Wayne douglas.wayne.nyc at gmail.com
Sun May 19 07:57:23 PDT 2013

I bought a CHERRY SmartTerminal ST-1044.  I installed both the API from the
"software" directory on the CD that came with it, along with the driver off
their website.  The driver was labeled "MacOS CCID, PC/SC driver V3.1.0.2 -
Release: 02/14/2012 - 175 kB - MacOS X 10.5.x, 10.6.x and 10.7.x on Intel".
 FWIW, I'm on MacOS X 10.8.

The device shows up in "about this mac" as "SmartTerminal XX44".  When I
insert a card, the green light briefly blinks red and goes back to green.

In system console, I see "5/19/13 10:37:38.487 AM
com.apple.SecurityServer[19]: token in reader Cherry SmartTerminal XX44 00
00 cannot be used (error 229)"

Really, all I want to do is read all the bytes out of a smart card and be
able to modify arbitrary bytes.  I'd be very happy if the device showed up
as a block device in /Volumes or something.

I've tried installing some other software, such as from
http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/browser/trunk/Tokend/PKCS11and
http://www.gemalto.com/products/dotnet_card/resources/libraries.html

So I'm just stabbing in the dark and probably making the situation worse.
 :)  Anyone out there have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Douglas