[SmartcardServices-Users] How to access an ST-1044U?

Shawn Geddis geddis at me.com
Sat May 25 05:51:01 PDT 2013

Douglas,

What you installed is a Smart Card Reader Driver.  However, Apple already provides a CCID Class Driver in OS X that supports that reader.  I would suggest you remove that driver and just use the built-in one.

Q: How can I remove the driver bundle

A: If you want to remove the driver delete the directory
   'ifdokccid<PackageSuffix>.bundle' within the directory
   "/usr/libexec/SmartCardService/drivers".

But, that is all you have so far.  What you need is the corresponding Tokend module that support the Profile (applet) on the Smart Cards you are using.  What Smart Card Profile are you using ?

Smart Cards are abstracted as Dynamic Keychains in OS X so you will not be able to access it as a block device.  The only other way you could access and use the card is if you obtained, installed and used a PKCS#11 library - legacy abstraction to accessing Smart Cards.

On May 19, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Douglas Wayne <douglas.wayne.nyc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a CHERRY SmartTerminal ST-1044.  I installed both the API from the "software" directory on the CD that came with it, along with the driver off their website.  The driver was labeled "MacOS CCID, PC/SC driver V3.1.0.2 - Release: 02/14/2012 - 175 kB - MacOS X 10.5.x, 10.6.x and 10.7.x on Intel".  FWIW, I'm on MacOS X 10.8.

> The device shows up in "about this mac" as "SmartTerminal XX44".  When I insert a card, the green light briefly blinks red and goes back to green.

> In system console, I see "5/19/13 10:37:38.487 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[19]: token in reader Cherry SmartTerminal XX44 00 00 cannot be used (error 229)"

> Really, all I want to do is read all the bytes out of a smart card and be able to modify arbitrary bytes.  I'd be very happy if the device showed up as a block device in /Volumes or something.

> I've tried installing some other software, such as from http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/browser/trunk/Tokend/PKCS11 and http://www.gemalto.com/products/dotnet_card/resources/libraries.html

> So I'm just stabbing in the dark and probably making the situation worse.  :)  Anyone out there have any recommendations?

> Thanks,

> Douglas

- Shawn
Shawn Geddis				  			          geddis at me.com
Enterprise Security Consulting Engineer, Apple     geddis at apple.com

MacOSForge: Smart Card Services  Project Lead:
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/