[SmartcardServices-Users] Store key on NFC tag that is acceptable to sc_auth?

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen henrik at synth.no
Sat Jan 24 04:53:57 PST 2015

Yoann Gini wrote:
> Le 20 janv. 2015 à 20:51, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <henrik at synth.no
> <mailto:henrik at synth.no>> a écrit :
>> The stock OSX version of pcsctest finds the reader just fine:
>>
>>     $ /usr/bin/pcsctest
>>
>>     Testing SCardEstablishContext    : Command successful.
>>     Testing SCardGetStatusChange
>>     Please insert a working reader   : Command successful.
>>     Testing SCardListReaders         : Command successful.
>>     Reader 01: ACS ACR122U
>
> If the built in pc/sc detect the reader, it’s a good start. It means
> it’s working on the reader side.
>
> Now you need to look at your cards. Which NFC chipset do you use? And
> with which TockenD module?

The reader says:

$ /usr/bin/pcsctest
Reader 01: ACS ACR122U
Waiting for card insertion        : Command successful.
Testing SCardConnect            : Command successful.
Testing SCardStatus              : Command successful.
Current Reader Name              : ACS ACR122U
Current Reader State             : 0x54
Current Reader Protocol          : 0x0
Current Reader ATR Size          : 20 (0x14)
Current Reader ATR Value         : 3B xx xx xx

The chipset is is a 13.56MHz ISO14443A & NFC Type 2 compliant NTAG216
RFID chipset.   I haven't selected any TokenD module, mostly because I
don't know how to.  Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.

> Don’t forget that SmartCards aren’t just storage cards, you have a
> microprocessor and a small system on it to store yours keys and handle
> the secure communication.

I realize this.  But according to http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24244 it
seems that I can get away with storing a key on the NFC that is
accessible with "sc_auth hash".  Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,
Henrik