[SmartcardServices-Users] Store key on NFC tag that is acceptable to sc_auth?

Shawn Geddis geddis at icloud.com
Sat Jan 24 14:54:10 PST 2015

Henrik,

Your email messages are all referencing the support of hardware (NFC readers and the hardware of the smartcard recognition of the electronics of the smart card), but not the Applet on the card.  Support for communicating correctly with the Applet loaded onto a card is done by a corresponding TokenD.  You do not select the card to use a particular Tokend, but rather you must have installed a TokenD that supports the Applet loaded on the card.  There are many Applet specifications out there, so you need to know what your card is using and install the appropriate TokenD.  Whether you access the card with a generic CCID USB-based smart card reader or a USB-NFC based reader is not the problem you are facing.

Once your particular smart card type is supported by an installed Tokend, then ALL services access and use the card as a dynamic keychain - via keychain services.  No application or service needs to know it is a smart card and simply uses the standard keychain / Sec… APIs available on OS X.  So yes, once you have a supporting Tokend, you could use sc_auth to assign a card to an account for login, but realize that is not the normal method for Smart Card Login on OS X.  You are much better off  using the standard of PKINT which leverages both PKI and your Microsoft AD’s KDC.

So, before any of us can help you further, we need to know and understand what Card Type (applet loaded on the card) you are using or want to use on your system.

- Shawn
Shawn Geddis
Security and Certifications Engineer, Apple           (geddis at apple.com <mailto:geddis at apple.com>)
SCAP-On-Apple Project/Dev Lead:		             (SCAP-On-Apple.MacOSForge.Org <http://scap-on-apple.macosforge.org/>)