[SmartcardServices-Users] [Non-DoD Source] SmartcardServices-Users Digest, Vol 68, Issue 1

Daly, John L CIV NAVAIR, 4G0000D john.l.daly at navy.mil
Wed Mar 23 07:56:56 PDT 2016

Hi Shawn,
I have a long standing bug in the OS where I can't unlock the Security & Privacy Pane if my CAC is inserted in the machine.  It asks for the PIN and the graphic shows it unlocking like it's supposed to, but then it immediately locks up again.  This makes it impossible to get to the Advanced tab.

I do use the command line to set tokenRemovalAction to 1, as you stated below, and it works flawlessly on my network accounts, but on Mobile accounts, despite the setting being correct, it will lock the screen when the token is removed, but when going to unlock it, it wants the password and not the PIN.

I even verified this by creating an account and logging in to a client machine without letting it create the home directory on the client machine.  Everything worked as it should. CAC removal caused the screen to lock, and the CAC PIN could unlock the screen.  Logged out and back in, letting it create the home directory on the client machine, and then the CAC could no longer unlock the screen saver.

What happened?  Apple has gone from having the best out of the box smart card support in the industry to what is being called the worst on "howto" websites.

Thank you,
John
Message: 2