[SmartcardServices-Users] Activate screensaver with token

Daly, John L CIV NAVAIR, 4G0000D john.l.daly at navy.mil
Thu Mar 24 12:25:36 PDT 2016

Yoann,

would defaults write com.apple.screensaver tokenRemovalAction 1

get around the caching issue?  I note that my accounts do all show tokenRemovalAction 1, and pulling the CAC from the machine causes the screensaver to activate.  It's just when I go to unlock the screensaver, the CAC doesn't work if it's a mobile or local account, only works if it's a network account.

Thank you,
John

> Le 23 mars 2016 ? 19:10, Lance Terada, CTR <lance.terada.ctr at mhpcc.hpc.mil> a ?crit :
>
> Hi Shawn,
>
> Yes, I already enabled smart cards for login.  So I guess I?m having another issue as I?ve set that option but my screensaver still doesn?t turn on after I pull my CAC.  The read command returns correct information.
>
> Is there anything else I can check?

Did you restart your computer since you?ve set this setting? Or at least killed the cfprefsd service ?

Look at the syslog when you remove the smart card to see if the removal is correctly seen.

>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 6:47 PM, Shawn Geddis <geddis at icloud.com <mailto:geddis at icloud.com>> wrote:
>>
>> sudo /usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c "Add:tokenRemovalAction integer 1" /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist
>> sudo /usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c "Add:askForPassword integer 1" /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist
>> sudo /usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c "Add:askForPasswordDelay integer 0" /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist
>>

>> You can also READ what the settings are using ?defaults':
>>
>> $ sudo defaults read  /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver

Don?t forget cfprefsd when editing plist files on disk.

If you use defaults, cfprefsd is updated, but if you use anything else the caching service isn?t updated and your new settings never used.

------------------------------

Message: 2
I did restart my computer.  The syslog shows that the removal is seen correctly.

Can you explain about the cashing service as I used the ?defaults? to read but ?plistbuddy? to set the options in com.apple.screensaver.plist as noted below.  How can I determine what the cashing service settings are seeing?

Thanks,
Lance

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 10:28 PM, Yoann Gini <yoann.gini at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Le 23 mars 2016 ? 19:10, Lance Terada, CTR <lance.terada.ctr at mhpcc.hpc.mil <mailto:lance.terada.ctr at mhpcc.hpc.mil>> a ?crit :
>>
>> Hi Shawn,
>>
>> Yes, I already enabled smart cards for login.  So I guess I?m having another issue as I?ve set that option but my screensaver still doesn?t turn on after I pull my CAC.  The read command returns correct information.
>>
>> Is there anything else I can check?
>
> Did you restart your computer since you?ve set this setting? Or at least killed the cfprefsd service ?
>
> Look at the syslog when you remove the smart card to see if the removal is correctly seen.
>

>>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 6:47 PM, Shawn Geddis <geddis at icloud.com <mailto:geddis at icloud.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> sudo /usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c "Add:tokenRemovalAction integer 1" /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist
>>> sudo /usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c "Add:askForPassword integer 1" /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist
>>> sudo /usr/libexec/plistbuddy -c "Add:askForPasswordDelay integer 0" /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist
>>>

>>> You can also READ what the settings are using ?defaults':
>>>
>>> $ sudo defaults read  /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver
>
> Don?t forget cfprefsd when editing plist files on disk.
>
> If you use defaults, cfprefsd is updated, but if you use anything else the caching service isn?t updated and your new settings never used.

End of SmartcardServices-Users Digest, Vol 68, Issue 3