[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.1.0

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Sat Dec 1 19:31:06 PST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Ben (or anyone else with a fd.o account), are you able to ssh into
> your shell access?  I can't:
>
> (17:13:30 Sat Dec 01 2007 jeremy at tifa i386)
> ~ $ ssh jeremyhu at annarchy.freedesktop.org

Nope, annarchy seems to be Tango-Uniform to me; I'm asking them about
it.

> Ok, now for the bulk of what I am here to say...
>
> I have marked git as 1.3.0-apple2 for xserver and bumped X11.app to
> 2.1.0.
>
> Files for these are being uploaded to my school computer since fd.o
> is down and I don't want to put them at xquartz.macosforge.org yet
> until others test out the package to make sure I didn't screw it
> up.  This is the first .pkg I've ever made, so PLEASE test it out.
> I tried it on my powerbook G4, and it seems to work.
>
> You can get it here:
> http://cloud.cs.berkeley.edu/~jeremy/X11/2.1.0/
>
> Assuming I get no negative feedback on this in the next few hours
> (or requests to wait for feature X that will be patched soon), I'll
> put it up on xquartz.macosforge.org and announce it.

Looks good!  It seems to install cleanly on my system.   Eventually,
we may want to add a README or some explanatory text.

Only minor nits I noticed:

1.  What's the difference between xvfb and xfake?   How about xnest
and Xephyr?   I'm asking, because I'm trying to figure out what we
(Apple) need to pick up for a future update.

2. Is there any reason we can't go ahead and call this X11R7.3 in the
About box?

3.  We should probably refer to this package as "X11" (as opposed to
X11User), because it includes parts of what would traditionally go
into the SDK package (the man pages for functions, and the header
files).  That's perfectly fine; I see no reason to bother with
splitting it into two packages.

4. It'd be super-spiff to get the Dock icon for Xquartz thing in, but
being able to pass arguments to X11.app is probably good enough.

Eventually I want to get us hooked up with Sparkle, but this is more
than good enough for our first "release".  Looking good!

> Ben, I don't really like the idea of using the wiki file-attachment
> for our releases.  Is there any way we can get a simple ftpdrop?
> Maybe even http://xquartz.freedesktop.org just for the file
> distributions?

I'll ask.
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer