[Xquartz-dev] Re: X11.pkg

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Sun Dec 2 07:42:45 PST 2007

Jeremy,

I'm still seeing some incorrect ownerships on the updated files.

A philosophical question:  Since it appears that only some of the files
are changing compared to the standard Leopard X11, do we want to include
only those that have changed, or an entire complete/self-contained X11
install?  I don't think I have a preference either way.

Here a non-philosophical question:  Will this work to overwrite the X11
install for those that down-revved to Tiger's X11?  Or should the
install
detect that and deal with it in a pre-install script? Or should it
detect
it and ask that Leopard's X11 be installed first to cleanup?
I don't have any way to test this situation.

The ownership on the following files should be root:admin (0/80) not
501/20

/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/Info.plist
/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/PkgInfo
/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/Resources/Info.plist
/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/Resources/X11.icns

The ownership of the following file should be root:wheel (0/0) not
501/20
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Info.plist
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/PkgInfo
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/main.nib/classes.nib
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/main.nib/info.nib
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/main.nib/
keyedobjects.nib
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/Info.plist
/usr/X11/X11.app/Contents/Resources/X11.icns
/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig/xorg-server.pc
/usr/X11/man/man1/Xquartz.1
/usr/X11/man/man1/Xserver.1

You can change these in a couple of ways:
   1) do a chown on the files you are including in the package
   2) In the 'Contents' pane when the included folders are highlighted,
      set the individual ownerships of the files that are wrong.
      (I don't think you have to set the 'Overwrite Directory
Permissions'
       for this to be effective).
  You can double-check things are right after you've built the package
with
  the following command:
    lsbom `pkgutil --bom <package_file>`
  The output will be a lot of lines with each showing
    filename, permission bits in octal, UID/GID, file size, 32-bit CRC
checksum
  If it's a symbolic link, you see the link target after the checksum.

Finally, it looks to me like the postinstall script is firing.
Running DeRez
on the final /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz file shows the resource fork is there.

As a side note, Rez only gets installed if the Xcode Developer Tools
are installed.
If they're not installed, then I would expect Installer to throw an
error when
running the postinstall script.  This might be the cause of the error
that that
one person saw.  Should we look for the Developer Tools in the Install
Check and
abort with a good error message if they are not present before
installing?
Another way around that would be for you to include the resource fork
in Xquartz
prior to building the package.  As long as the 'Discard Resource
Forks' is not
checked in the Package Flags, that should work.

Merle