[Xquartz-dev] Re: X11.pkg

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 2 11:23:09 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 07:42, Merle Reinhart wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> I'm still seeing some incorrect ownerships on the updated files.

I have no idea why this is happening... see below.

> A philosophical question:  Since it appears that only some of the
> files
> are changing compared to the standard Leopard X11, do we want to
> include
> only those that have changed, or an entire complete/self-contained X11
> install?  I don't think I have a preference either way.

We're just including changed and missing files.

> Here a non-philosophical question:  Will this work to overwrite the
> X11
> install for those that down-revved to Tiger's X11?  Or should the
> install
> detect that and deal with it in a pre-install script?

I setup an install requirement that checks for /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz.
So in theory, it should fail if they uninstalled or never installed
Leopard's X11.

> You can change these in a couple of ways:
>  1) do a chown on the files you are including in the package

Yeah, that's what I did

>  2) In the 'Contents' pane when the included folders are highlighted,
>     set the individual ownerships of the files that are wrong.
>     (I don't think you have to set the 'Overwrite Directory
> Permissions'
>      for this to be effective).

They are all root:wheel.  I'll change the ones that should be
root:admin to root:admin, but I show them all as root:wheel

> You can double-check things are right after you've built the package
> with
> the following command:
>   lsbom `pkgutil --bom <package_file>`

I see the 501/20 there.  Why the heck is it doing that?  Is this a
PackageMaker.app bug?  I even deleted the target and readded it to
make sure it got the new ownerships.

> Finally, it looks to me like the postinstall script is firing.
> Running DeRez
> on the final /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz file shows the resource fork is
> there.
>
> As a side note, Rez only gets installed if the Xcode Developer Tools
> are installed.
> If they're not installed, then I would expect Installer to throw an
> error when
> running the postinstall script.  This might be the cause of the
> error that that
> one person saw.  Should we look for the Developer Tools in the
> Install Check and
> abort with a good error message if they are not present before
> installing?
> Another way around that would be for you to include the resource
> fork in Xquartz
> prior to building the package.  As long as the 'Discard Resource
> Forks' is not
> checked in the Package Flags, that should work.

Ok, I'll try that then.

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy