[Xquartz-dev] The 2.1.0 package and Apple System Fonts

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 2 15:36:44 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 14:17, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at berkeley.edu>:
>
>> xfontsel doesn't use fontconfig as far as I can tell... It looks
>> like it's using xfs and I thought appending the paths to fs/config
>> would fix that, but it looks like that only fixes the problem if you
>> run xfs and don't use the built-in (compile-time AFAICT) font
>> directory list.
>
> The way I understand it is this:  All X clients get font information
> from the X server, not from xfs.

Unless the server is configured to get ITS font information from xfs.

> Anyway, xfontsel and xlsfonts are regular X clients, so they get their
> information from the X server just like any other X client does.

Right, this is the mechanism they use to get fonts.  This way is more
or less deprecated in favor of the fontconfig/libXft method which
doesn't involve the server.

> Anyway, I would have guessed that you might be able to just run
> mkfontscale and mkfontdir in /System/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts
> and then add them to the font path?  It just might be worth a try.

I changed the compiled-in paths to include those dirs, but I still
don't see the fonts (listed in /Library/Fonts/fonts.dir) in xfontsel.
I'll need to look into it more.