[Xquartz-dev] The 2.1.0 package and Apple System Fonts

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 2 15:53:02 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 14:17, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> Disclaimers: I have no idea how X11 interacts with fontconfig. My only
> practical experience with font servers was back in the days of X
> terminals, and that was not in this century.  (The point being that
> the X terminal, having no local file system, could only get its fonts
> from a font server.  The font servers were fragile beasts that would
> curl up and die if you looked at them crosswise, and we were glad to
> get rid of them when the last X terminal left the building.)

Ok, I found a good description for you from http://www.freshports.org/x11-fonts/libXft/
  :

The current version of Xft provides a client-side font API for X
applications. It uses Fontconfig to select fonts and the X protocol for
rendering them. When available, Xft uses the Render extension to
accelerate
text drawing. When Render is not available, Xft uses the core protocol
to draw
client-side glyphs. This provides completely compatible support of
client-side
fonts for all X servers.