[Xquartz-dev] RFC: Combining both X11.apps into one

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 3 15:54:30 PST 2007

I just committed a patch that combines both X11.apps into one
application and intelligently determines what to do at execution. See http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=0284b3631a4c501d7b3f39774dbc2416c4121c58

I know I was confused about the two different versions, so I thought
this might help out the situation.  If you try it out, make sure you
grab the updated LaunchAgent plist (also in the commit) and restart
first.

Note that this hasn't fixed the "extra dock icon" problem or anything
like that.  I hope to figure out a solution to that as I work on this
refactoring of the startup process, but I'm not there yet.  As an end
goal, I'd like X11.app to *really* be Xquartz rather than fork to
execute it.  I think that might make it a bit cleaner and clear up any
weird double-icon problems.

Comments and feedback on this would be appreciated... especially if
you are partial to having this division, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jeremy