[Xquartz-dev] Re: RFC: Combining both X11.apps into one

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Mon Dec 3 16:43:36 PST 2007

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> I just committed a patch that combines both X11.apps into one
> application and intelligently determines what to do at execution. See
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=0284b3631a4c501d7b3f39774dbc2416c4121c58
>

> I know I was confused about the two different versions, so I thought
> this might help out the situation.  If you try it out, make sure you
> grab the updated LaunchAgent plist (also in the commit) and restart first.
>
> Note that this hasn't fixed the "extra dock icon" problem or anything
> like that.  I hope to figure out a solution to that as I work on this
> refactoring of the startup process, but I'm not there yet.  As an end
> goal, I'd like X11.app to *really* be Xquartz rather than fork to
> execute it.  I think that might make it a bit cleaner and clear up any
> weird double-icon problems.
>
> Comments and feedback on this would be appreciated... especially if you
> are partial to having this division, I'd like to hear from you.

I have not looked at it, but what does it do in the event that a user
launches X11 by double-clicking on the X11.app icon and then, in a
Terminal.app window does ssh -X <somewhere>? I believe that the original
problem was that another instance of X11.app would then launch with a
different DISPLAY.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman