[Xquartz-dev] RFC: Combining both X11.apps into one

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Tue Dec 4 14:59:22 PST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> I just committed a patch that combines both X11.apps into one
> application and intelligently determines what to do at execution.
> See http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=0284b3631a4c501d7b3f39774dbc2416c4121c58
>
> I know I was confused about the two different versions, so I thought
> this might help out the situation.  If you try it out, make sure you
> grab the updated LaunchAgent plist (also in the commit) and restart
> first.
>
> Note that this hasn't fixed the "extra dock icon" problem or
> anything like that.  I hope to figure out a solution to that as I
> work on this refactoring of the startup process, but I'm not there
> yet.  As an end goal, I'd like X11.app to *really* be Xquartz rather
> than fork to execute it.  I think that might make it a bit cleaner
> and clear up any weird double-icon problems.
>
> Comments and feedback on this would be appreciated... especially if
> you are partial to having this division, I'd like to hear from you.

Bravo!
I don't think there's a single person on this planet who *wants* this
division.  There is a simple reason we have the two .apps - I tried
about six months ago what you just tried, and when I did it, I ended
up with no Dock icon at all.  I just tried your code, and while I
briefly see two dock icons, one goes away almost immediately.  I think
that that's just fine, as long as we end up with at least *one* icon.

/me wanders off, muttering about being set up for failure by the Dock
team ...
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer