[Xquartz-dev] code cleanup, combining quartzBlah.c and darwinBlah.c, etc, etc...

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Wed Dec 5 05:02:04 PST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 11:28 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Unless anyone has an objection, I'm going to spend some time going
> through, cleaning up header files, adding documentation where I
> think it's appropriate, and moving around code between files to
> clean up our layout.  I'll probably kill off cr and fullscreen while
> I'm at it.  I need to get a handle on the startup code and events
> system, and there is alot of cruft getting in the way of my
> understanding... hopefully by cleaning up some of this stuff, I can
> clear out dead code and streamline our event pipe a bit.
>
> Ben, what were the main changes you needed to do to get events
> working right in the 1.4 server?  I haven't really looked at the
> changes between the two versions, but I did notice that the
> X11Application.m darwinEvents.c in 1.2 won't work dropped into 1.4.

Overall, the theme is that 1.4 provides nicer, more abstract way of
telling the X server you want to send an event -- so we should almost
never be generating events by filling in the event fields ourselvs.

Okay.  Warning: I got yelled at after this first commit for doing both
a whitespace cleanup and code changes in the same commit.  Look at the
changes to send_nsevent.

Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:45:19 +0000 (01:45 -0800)
Rewrote parts of the Xquartz event-handling code (thanks daniels and
whot!)
It should still be considered a work in progress, but mouse events
almost work.
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=39ecd6fff4f946deebe310b4b26b171c842db223;hp=ed7ccc481ad1caaa518cafe944c2327a5d0b6c65

There's one important change here -- search for "nullbyte".  This is
necessary to tell the other thread that it should check for events --
we don't use that fd for anything other than poking the other thread
to wake it up.

Fri, 2 Mar 2007 01:44:39 +0000 (17:44 -0800)
Fixed pointer events in Xquartz -- Keyboard events work, but the
keycodes are incorrect.
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=2dafc46e3d814e02b25e5a2fa2e931f0257402a8;hp=39ecd6fff4f946deebe310b4b26b171c842db223

Refactoring: http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=537dc5ecde46d0525c503d1d2b39b6eb89a1298e

Rewrite: (and made the nullbyte hack slightly less ugly)
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=fe7b8f4237874e3e45fe25a6bf06faddfa1ab8e1;hp=537dc5ecde46d0525c503d1d2b39b6eb89a1298e

Moved some code:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=3206e9225897989638ad553e1f392b918ac4d21f

Last major rewrite:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=a05ffca8dd0da9bdb5c1bf4c481028aeabf21e34;hp=3206e9225897989638ad553e1f392b918ac4d21f

Sorry to be so verbose, but it was a real battle :/

Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer