[Xquartz-dev] fb / rootless crash bugs

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Wed Dec 5 18:23:23 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Nathaniel Gray wrote:

>> We really don't want to keep both Rootless and something that
>> replaces
>> it; that's just asking for trouble down the road when one side
>> doesn't
>> get enough testing.
>
> Ok, just drop rootless.  If you want to run a different WM you
> probably want it in fullscreen anyway since it won't work properly
> with Aqua windows, and you can use xnest for that.
>
> Bah.  The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that trying to
> allow non-native window managers is just a waste of brain-cycles.  Mac
> OS X is not X11.  The goal should be to seamlessly support X11
> *applications* not X11 desktop environments.

I'm forced to agree here.  It seems like the best compromise for
people that, say, want to run a Gnome desktop is for them to do it in
one full-screen "Space" -- whether that means we get magic mojo
working where you can do a Spaces-transition into a suddenly-working
fullscreen mode in Xquartz, or if we tell people to just use Xephyr, I
don't know.  The Xephyr solution seems a lot easier, at least.   The
only "gotcha" I know of there is that cut'n'paste doesn't seem to work
between apps in Xephyr and the outside world.   (I haven't tested
this, but I seem to recall someone stating this was the case.)

Fixing that falls under the heading of "fixing broken cut and paste in
general", though.
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer