[Xquartz-dev] fb / rootless crash bugs

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Wed Dec 5 18:25:21 PST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007, at 4:02 PM, Ben Byer wrote:

> It turns out there's a threshold, above which it uses the
> "accelerated" calls, and below which it uses the fb/ code.  So, I
> put a hack in that disables the fb code if you create a file called
> "/tmp/disable_fb.txt":
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=4dcd9106a89ceb6c72546a12849be04660f574fd
>
> If you're experiencing crashes in the fb/rootless code, I'd like to
> hear if enabling that fixes them.  I'd also like to hear if it
> impacts performance.

Anyone try this yet?  Reports of rootless crashes on the "old and
busted" 10.5.0 Xquartz continue to stream in, and I know we didn't fix
all of them (yet) in Xserver-1.3.  If I don't hear back soon, I'm just
gonna turn that hack on permanently until someone tells me why I
shouldn't.

:)
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer