[Xquartz-dev] The 2.1.0 package and Apple System Fonts

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Sat Dec 8 07:11:36 PST 2007

Interestingly, somewhere between Dec 2 when I originally sent that
message and this morning Dec 8, the various fc-* commands nolonger
see /etc/fonts, but seem to produce the correct answer.

The only thing that I've done to my system from an X11 perspective
since that time is reboot (I did NOT reboot after installing the
X11-2.1.0.pkg on Dec 2 when I noticed the original issue).  There were
actually several reboots as I was switching between Tiger, Leopard
with the xserver 1.2a fixes and Leopard with X11-2.1.0.pkg as I was
trying to track down a bizarre oddity with the alt keys not working as
alt keys or even the expected keycode (I haven't yet sent that message
to this list, but will later today as it really looks like a bug to me).

So, apparently, something didn't quite work right after X11-2.1.0.pkg
was installed until a reboot.

Note: this fixed up the fc-* commands, but the server still only see a
few fonts, but I seems to me that this is now understood (I have a lot
of X11 apps that I use that rely on the fonts that the xserver
provides, so it is inconvenient at times which is why I was trying to
understand).

Thanks very much to all as I have learned a lot with this discussion.

Merle