[Xquartz-dev] The 2.1.0 package and Apple System Fonts

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Sat Dec 8 17:41:41 PST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 11:14 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2007, at 07:11, Merle Reinhart wrote:
>
>> So, apparently, something didn't quite work right after
>> X11-2.1.0.pkg was installed until a reboot.
>
> Hmm... with the .pkg, I set 'fc-cache' to execute on boot, so if
> anything, that is possibly the problem.  I'll put fc-cache into
> postinst.
>
>> Note: this fixed up the fc-* commands, but the server still only
>> see a few fonts, but I seems to me that this is now understood (I
>> have a lot of X11 apps that I use that rely on the fonts that the
>> xserver provides, so it is inconvenient at times which is why I was
>> trying to understand).
>
> It only shows ttf, I believe.  I think otf and dfont are not
> supported (can someone verify this as I'm only about 50% sure).

Ok.  Let's figure this out, for reals.

If I go and run "sudo mkfontscale /System/Library/Fonts /Library/
Fonts; mkfontscale ~/Library/Fonts; sudo mkfontdir /System/Library/
Fonts /Library/Fonts; mkfontdir ~/Library/Fonts; xset fp default; xset
+fp /System/Library/Fonts,/Library/Fonts; xset +fp ~/Library/Fonts;
xlsfonts | wc -l" I get 9141 fonts as a result.  (Obviously, this will
depend on how many Mac fonts you have installed.)

'cat /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/OTF/fonts.dir' lists 24 fonts, so it seems
to support OTF.

I have a Zapfino.dfont in my /Library/Fonts directory;  after the
above command, I see it listed in fonts.dir:
Zapfino.dfont -linotype-zapfino-medium-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1

However, 'xlsfonts | grep -i zapf' produces no output. Hmm.
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer