[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 5 14:55:18 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
[]
> True... and this is fixed in his autoconf as well.  I understand the
> 'autoconf bugfix delay' issue... I just don't think it justifies
> including xmkmf and imake which don't work outside of providing a
> workaround for this autoconf bug =/

After some more reading, I have to come back on this. Have you talked to
your macports friends about this question? As far as I can tell,
macports has, as does Fink, quite a few packages, and among them
heavyweights such as xfig, that depend on xmkmf/imake for their whole
build system, not only as an aide to autoconf. There are the Xaw3d and
xpm libraries, some parts of vnc packages, such as tightvnc, plus a
couple of other packages, that have in their Portfile instead of other
build directives, simply "use_xmkmf yes".

Maintainers and users of these packages won't be happy if this doesn't
work any more. I agree fully that it is a terrible build system, but it
is still used, and you are exaggerating when you say that it didn't work.

--
Martin