[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 5 18:11:33 PDT 2008

Yes, it is an exaggeration to say that it didn't work.
It is _not_ an exaggeration to say that it has been deprecated since
2005.
It is also true that the config files that xmkmf/imake pull from for
building on darwin are outdated and in error.  When I said that it
didn't work, what I meant was that it didn't work correctly.
Additionally, xmkmf and imake are not removed by our installer if they
exist.

If MacPorts and fink want to support imake/xmkmf, they are free to do
so, but they will need to take responsibility for updating the old/
deprecated configuration files for building on darwin.

As for apps that still use it as part of their build system, I'm in no
way preventing you or fink or macports from installing imake or
xmkmf.  I'd encourage these packages to change to another build
system, but in the mean time, for the few packages that do use it,
MacPorts and fink can just install their own copy of xmkmf/imake in /
sw or /opt/local.

--Jeremy