[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sat Apr 5 20:16:57 PDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> After some more reading, I have to come back on this. Have you
> talked to your macports friends about this question? As far as I can
> tell, macports has, as does Fink, quite a few packages, and among
> them heavyweights such as xfig, that depend on xmkmf/imake for their
> whole build system, not only as an aide to autoconf. There are the
> Xaw3d and xpm libraries, some parts of vnc packages, such as
> tightvnc, plus a couple of other packages, that have in their
> Portfile instead of other build directives, simply "use_xmkmf yes".

So, assuming that there was a package containing the xmkmf bits,
MacPorts could easily add a dependency on said package if
use_xmkmf=yes, right?  use_xmkmf could register it as a file
dependency so if /usr/X11/bin/xmkmf was there by any means, it would
Just Work™.  Unless there's some impediment I don't see, why not just
have macports DTRT transparently?

- Jordan