[Xquartz-dev] 2.2.0_rc2

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Apr 6 04:13:05 PDT 2008

Er, on second thought I think I've had this explained to me before:

+ Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>:

> Inkscape has stopped working:
>
> ; /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS/Inkscape
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
>   Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.2.dylib
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: libXft.2.dylib requires version 5.0.0 or later, but libfontconfig.1.dylib provides version 4.0.0

The point is that the error message is lying.  Playing with
filebyproc.d I notice that inkscape-bin is loading
/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib,
and playing with otool -l I learn that this really does provide
version 4.

Seems to me that inkscape is simultaneously making too many and too
few assumptions about the host system, with fatal result.  (Too many:
We can use the system's libXft – too few: we need to provide our own
libfontconfig.  Ouch.)

- Harald