[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Mark J. Reed markjreed at mail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:09:24 PDT 2008

>From my POV, sitting on the sidelines and mostly just wanting X to
work - which definitely includes being able to build stuff - Leopard
has been one long series of things that are broken because someone has
declared them outmoded.  I'm starting to feel a bit like Rodney
Copperbottom here, and while I know Jeremy's motives are purer than
Ratchet's, I don't think the attitude is helpful.
To me it comes down to this: are xmkmf/Imake still used in upstream
X.org?  If so, they should be there on Leopard.  It's not Apple's job
to correct infrastructure issues within the parent product.  If such
improvements fall naturally out of the work and you canhave them made
upstream, great, but the whole reason X11 on OS X exists at all is
compatibility.  Making it extra-incompatible, no matter how valid the
motivation, seems the wrong way to go.

Mark J. Reed <markjreed at mail.com>