[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.2.0_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Apr 8 07:22:02 PDT 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 05:09, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> From my POV, sitting on the sidelines and mostly just wanting X to
> work - which definitely includes being able to build stuff - Leopard
> has been one long series of things that are broken because someone has
> declared them outmoded.  I'm starting to feel a bit like Rodney
> Copperbottom here, and while I know Jeremy's motives are purer than
> Ratchet's, I don't think the attitude is helpful.
> To me it comes down to this: are xmkmf/Imake still used in upstream
> X.org?

No, they're not still used in upstream X.org.  They haven't been since
2005 when X.org declared them deprecated and slated for removal.  I'm
removing them from our distribution of X11 because *I* don't want to
be responsible for maintaining them if nobody is going to be
responsible for them upstream, there is a clear migration path, and
ample time to transition away.  X.org doesn't maintain it.  Almost all
major X11 related projects have transitioned to the autoconf/pkg-
config build system and abandoned xmkmf/imake.  It has been 3 years
since they were deprecated.  Therefore, all three conditions are
satisfied, and I have decided to remove these binaries rather than
fixing the darwin build rules in the configs.

>  If so, they should be there on Leopard.

And if not, then they should not be there on Leopard, right?

> It's not Apple's job to correct infrastructure issues within the
> parent product.  If such
> improvements fall naturally out of the work and you canhave them made
> upstream, great, but the whole reason X11 on OS X exists at all is
> compatibility.  Making it extra-incompatible, no matter how valid the
> motivation, seems the wrong way to go.

I agree with you 100% here.