[Xquartz-dev] Re: deprecating xmkmf / imake

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Tue Apr 8 15:59:21 PDT 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>> It's not Apple's job to correct infrastructure issues within the
>> parent product.  If such
>> improvements fall naturally out of the work and you canhave them made
>> upstream, great, but the whole reason X11 on OS X exists at all is
>> compatibility.  Making it extra-incompatible, no matter how valid the
>> motivation, seems the wrong way to go.
>
> I agree with you 100% here.

As do I  -- I'm not quite sure if this is a response to my comment,
but if so, I failed to correctly convey my opinion.

What I was trying to say was:

If we keep xmkmf/imake, it will cost us <n> engineer-hours to keep
xmkmf on life support over the next year or two.

It would take <m> engineer-hours to retool all of the macports /
fink / ? projects that currently use xmkmf to use something else
(including, for example, a static Makefile).

We should compare <n> to <m> and consider fixing the projects,
depending on how lopsided that comparison may be.
-b