[Xquartz-dev] Re: deprecating xmkmf / imake

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Wed Apr 9 17:17:57 PDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> I am not talking about building X11, and I am not talking about
> *new* software projects. I am talking about existing software like
> xaw3d/transfig/xfig.

I think everyone has been clear on that, Jeremy was just pointing out
that it's well documented (and has been for awhile) just what new
applications should be doing.

I also suspect that if xfig is as popular as you say it is, someone
will step up and autoconf it since the process of doing that is pretty
well understood by now. I also did not realize that xmkmf is currently
broken on MacOSX (due to the configuration file issues Jeremy
mentioned) so it's not the simple matter of providing a "legacy
package" now, you're basically asking Jeremy to support it and it's
clear that he does not want to do that, so why keep arguing the
point?  X.org has declared its intentions very clearly by autoconf'ing
the hell out of everything and it's clearly time for the rest of the
X11 world to follow suit - end of story!

To anticipate the question as to why we switched away from XFree86 and
brought about all this change, let me just point to the events of
February 2004  and the wikipedia entry for XFree86.  It's not like
this hasn't been a long time coming, folks!

- Jordan

P.S. Just for the record, I personally hate autoconf and here I am
arguing for it.  That should say something about the degree to which
xmkmf is deprecated.