[Xquartz-dev] Re: deprecating xmkmf / imake

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 9 15:44:35 PDT 2008

Martin Costabel wrote:
> Xfig is one of the reasons why people are using X11 on the Mac, as
> there  is no equivalent aqua program. It builds fine with the
> "deprecated", "outdated", "incorrect" xmkmf/imake that comes with
> Leopard. It won't any more in the future.
>
> And I am also not mainly representing Fink here, because for Fink
> there is a solution. I am more thinking about unsuspecting users who
> are trying to build these programs themselves independent of Fink or
> Macports. They will be left out in the cold.
They won't be left in the cold.  If they're clever enough to be trying
to compile it on their own, they'll be clever enough to use google to
find the patch to make it build using autoconf... or even better, we
might be able to get the tarball on the site updated with our fixes, so
everyone else can benefit from the updated build system.