[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.2.0_rc3 (includes spaces fix)

xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com
Thu Apr 10 07:17:59 PDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Merle Reinhart - merlereinhart at mac.com wrote:

> Try not clicking on the X11 icon to start X11.  Bring up a Terminal window

You're talking about this problem that Jamie sees right:

Start X11 (I clicked on the X11 icon).
Open an xterm in space 1
Move to space 2
open an xterm in the same location as on space 1
move to space 1
click on xterm - Spaces automatically moves back to space 2
move to space 1
click on xterm  - xterm focuses

Yeah I can't get that to happen even if I run /A/U/X11.app but I do see
something else strange but I have just started using spaces mainly to help
find problems so I don't know how much out of the ordinary it truly is :)

1.  Go to space 1.
2.  Quit X11.
3.  From Terminal.app do xlsclients to fire-up X11.
4.  X11 should be in the forground, do cmd-N to get a new xterm.
5.  Go to space 2 (I use a mouse squeeze for this).
6.  Use cmd-tab to get X11 to the foreground.
7.  cmd-N for another xterm which appears on space 2.
8.  Move that xterm so it has focus and is in the same place the other one
     is.
9.  Switch to space 1.
10. Type something, it ends-up in the xterm in space 2 not the one in
     space 1.

I see two differences here with how as an example Terminal.app behaves in
spaces.

In step 6 why do I not get transported back to space 1?
In step 10 why is the focus still in the space 2 xterm?

I have a feeling the second issue may have something to do with the whole
click twice on the dock to get X11 to come forward problem.

later,
mzs