[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.2.0_rc3 (includes spaces fix)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Apr 10 08:50:40 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 07:17, xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Yeah I can't get that to happen even if I run /A/U/X11.app but I do
> see something else strange but I have just started using spaces
> mainly to help find problems so I don't know how much out of the
> ordinary it truly is :)
>
> 1.  Go to space 1.
> 2.  Quit X11.
> 3.  From Terminal.app do xlsclients to fire-up X11.
> 4.  X11 should be in the forground, do cmd-N to get a new xterm.
> 5.  Go to space 2 (I use a mouse squeeze for this).
> 6.  Use cmd-tab to get X11 to the foreground.
> 7.  cmd-N for another xterm which appears on space 2.
> 8.  Move that xterm so it has focus and is in the same place the
> other one
>    is.
> 9.  Switch to space 1.
> 10. Type something, it ends-up in the xterm in space 2 not the one in
>    space 1.
>
> I see two differences here with how as an example Terminal.app
> behaves in spaces.

Notice my choice words in the changelog / release notes.  "X11 works
_better_ with spaces." ;)

I certainly haven't been able to give it a thorough pounding, and I'm
glad you guys are.  Can you please add this to the buglist at http://xquartz.macosforge.org?

Thanks.

> In step 6 why do I not get transported back to space 1?

Not sure, honestly.  It seems to happen for other things like
Terminal.app TextEdit.app.  Honestly, I wish there was a way to make
Terminal.app and TextEdit.app behave this way and not the other way
around... =/  So maybe if I figure out what I did "wrong", I can maybe
do something "wrong" to make other apps behave this way for me =)

> In step 10 why is the focus still in the space 2 xterm?

This is probably a bug I can address (but haven't tried to reproduce
yet).  I'll look at it, but because it's not a regression, it won't be
blocking 2.2.0.

> I have a feeling the second issue may have something to do with the
> whole click twice on the dock to get X11 to come forward problem.

Not sure...