[Xquartz-dev] xauth and path

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 13 10:20:59 PDT 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 06:15, xquartz-dev.5.mzs at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed (with 2.2.0_rc4) that when I ssh and forward the
> DISPLAY I get a warning message such as this:
>
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding.

Do you have "Authenticate Connections" enabled in X11->Preferences-
 >Security?  If you don't, then well... that's why you don't have
xauth data and use fake data for the forwarding.

> I honestly don't know if this has ever been fixed, I ussually have a
> very long notice to users I need to present and so it is back in the
> scroll buffer.

Well, the warning is just that... a warning.  It's warning you
properly.  We fixed the issue where the xauth data wasn't getting used
when it was actually there.

> Another odd thing is that my PATH inside an xterm ends like so:
>
> ...n:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Yeah... I think that's a combination of profile, and some logic in
startx to handle the case where both X11 and X11R6 are present in /
usr ... it could be cleaned up, but it's harmless to have the
repetition.