[Xquartz-dev] X11 hangs

Mike Krogh mfkrogh at ensight.com
Mon Apr 14 14:13:57 PDT 2008

Greetings,

We've have been experiencing hangs with our X11/OpenGL based
application under Leopard.  I gave the 2.2.0.1 Xquartz package a try
minutes ago on my MacBook and still see the hang.   The hang typically
occurs when our app is driving OpenGL hard while periodically polling
X11.  Here's a current traceback:

0x93b4f9e6 in mach_msg_trap ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x93b4f9e6 in mach_msg_trap ()
#1  0x93b571dc in mach_msg ()
#2  0x90faa632 in io_connect_map_memory ()
#3  0x15356fb2 in GhalInterface::getCommandBuffer ()
#4  0x153901e8 in GHAL3D::CPrivateCommandTransport::FlushCommandBuffer
()
#5  0x1538e0e9 in i965SubmitPacketsToken ()
#6  0x1535a160 in i965SwapFlush ()
#7  0x9024b74b in CGLFlushDrawable ()
#8  0x03373a4d in driMesaSwapBuffers ()
#9  0x00b8b132 in cvf_workert_swapbuffers_glx ()

Lines #9 and higher are in our application.  We have the option of
linking our app with Mesa instead of Apple's OpenGL and that doesn't
tend to exhibit the problem.  Given the current traceback, and
tracebacks from previous Xquartz releases, we think it's probably a
bug with X11's interface with the graphics driver.  Also, we're able
to reproduce this problem on a variety of Macs running Leopard.

Can someone recommend how we might go about fixing the problem or
lending a hand?

Thanks!

Mike

-