[Xquartz-dev] X11 hangs

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Apr 14 21:40:32 PDT 2008

Hi Mike.

On Apr 14, 2008, at 14:13, Mike Krogh wrote:
> Lines #9 and higher are in our application.  We have the option of
> linking our app with Mesa instead of Apple's OpenGL and that doesn't
> tend to exhibit the problem.

I'm confused what you mean by this.  Can you please be more specific
because this can be interpreted different ways.  When I hear "Apple's
OpenGL", I think OpenGL.framework which has nothing to do with X11.
The /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib that we give you *IS* Mesa GL.  Are you
haveing problems with that version of Mesa GL that uses Apple-DRI?
What version of Mesa and what mesa driver are you using that doesn't
exhibit the problem?

> Given the current traceback, and tracebacks from previous Xquartz
> releases, we think it's probably a bug with X11's interface with the
> graphics driver.

Highly likely.

>  Also, we're able to reproduce this problem on a variety of Macs
> running Leopard.
>
> Can someone recommend how we might go about fixing the problem or
> lending a hand?

The fix is to make a Mesa DRI driver for OpenGL.framework and get rid
of Apple-DRI.  This is on the long list of things to do... =/  If
you're interested in contributing developer hours to this, I have a
slew of emails I can forward your way.  Just let me know if you want
them.

Thanks,
Jeremy