[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.0-apple2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Apr 18 01:08:31 PDT 2008

Over these past few days at XDC, Ben and I have pushed a lot of
changes into the 1.4 branch (many thanks to the X.org devs who banged
their heads on our keyboards to help find solutions).  We've fixed all
but one regression over 1.2, fixed a few thread related issues that
aren't fixed in the 1.2/1.3 branch, and refactored the code enough
that it's not trivial to backport everything at this point.

Check out git for the full set of changes:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/log/?h=xorg-server-1.4-apple

Please, please, please test out Xquartz-1.4.0-apple2 and let us know
your experience.
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/Xquartz-1.4.0-apple2.bz2

We especially need people who use:
1) Multi-dimensional input (ie: wacom tablets, etc)
2) International input (ie: anything that is not the standard US Apple
keyboard)

Known regression:
Having an external monitor causes "issues"...

Install 2.2.0.1, then decompress the binary and place at /usr/X11/bin/
Xquartz

The feedback I get here will pretty much dictate whether or not to go
with 1.4 for the next release or devote time backporting most of these
changes into 1.2/1.3 ... Personally, I think 1.4 is looking like the
better option once we clear up this one regression (partially because
it means I need to maintain one less branch in that scenario)... but
it's really up to you all to pound it and find more regressions for me.

Thanks,
Jeremy