[Xquartz-dev] contact Ben...

Jonathan Chetwynd j.chetwynd at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 4 07:58:01 PDT 2008

contact Ben...

Jeremy,

would it be worth asking Ben to contact Owen via irc #GTK+ on
irc.gnome.org

they seem like a friendly bunch.
which can be rare in this thin atmosphere...

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

j.chetwynd at btinternet.com
http://www.openicon.org/

+44 (0) 20 7978 1764

from #GTK+ on irc.gnome.org

owen: I don't think that is separable from "fix XInput"
The GTK+ API's are simple and clear, but XInput (as it has
historically existed) is a broken system that doesn't give suffiicent
information to hook it up to the GTK+ API
Peter Hutterer has been doing some work on fixing XInput, though it's
going to take some more attention to the ecosystem to get it really
right
(that is, you plug in a tablet, it just works everywhere out of the box)

owen 's concern about tablet operation on a proprietary operating
system? Close to zero
And on OS X, I think Gtk Quartz is more interesting place to spend
effort

Anyways, my opinion on XQuartz + GTK i that it first needs to be fixed
thoroughly on Linux, then the XQuartz changes to make it work out of
the box will be obvious

ebassi: what owen is trying to say is that the native quartz backend
is far more interesting than using X11 on OSX
  so the effort should go in fixing tablet support there