[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0 not playing well with spaces hot-key combination (locking control key)

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Tue Aug 5 14:36:20 PDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 3:28 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> In thinking about this, there might be a few things I expect I'll
> want to know when I try this out tomorrow...
>
> On Aug 3, 2008, at 17:39, Darren Nickerson wrote:
>> 3. To test this, I quit RSIGuard (which was running in all spaces).
>> I'm pleased to report that when I switched to a space where no
>> applications were running, the problem disappeared. When I
>> restarted RSIGuard (which runs on all spaces) the problem returned.
>
> Is RSIGuard absolutely required, or can you get this to trigger if
> any application (try TextEdit) is running on the "other" space?

I can get it to happen with Preview and with Firefox (so I guess any
application), but only if I have spaces configured to put that
application on all spaces. If I only have the other application
running in space 6, and I CTRL->arrow from space 5 where X11 is
running to space 6 with the other app, and while still having the CTRL
key held down from the first move arrow directly back to space 5 I do
not see the problem. If I repeat that process with the other
application running on all spaces, then I see the problem.

So in summary all I have to do is have an application configured to
run in all spaces, and have that application actually running, to see
the problem.

>> 4. If I do the keystrokes slowly as you have described, the problem
>> does not occur. I start in the x windows spaces, then held CTRL,
>> then hit arrow and held. Once in the new space I held both keys
>> depressed for 2 seconds, and I noted the arrow (showing the
>> transition I had just done) in the dock icon disappeared. Then I
>> released CTRL, waited one second then released arrow. I repeated
>> this sequence to get back to the original X11 space and I did not
>> see the problem. I repeated this a few times to be sure.
>
> Can you give me a sense of how quickly you tap and release the key
> sequence?  Do you tend to quickly tap-release both keys?  Do you
> tend to hold control and tap the number?  Do you tend to release the
> control key before the number, or the other way around?

Typically I hold the CTRL key down, and "arrow around" with quick
arrow presses until I reach the space I want, then I release the CTRL
key.

-Darren