[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.1_beta2

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 15 02:12:55 PDT 2008

+ Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at freedesktop.org>:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 00:01, Martin Costabel wrote:
> > With xev I see that cmd-click produces a ButtonPress event with
> > "state 0x10, button 3". I think the "state" is wrong, it should be
> > "0x0". Otherwise it is interpreted as "cmd-button3" instead of just
> > "button3", and "cmd-button3" is not associated with any action.
>
> Well, you're holding down command... so this is what makes sense to me...
>
> How would you suggest to emulate cmd-button3 or alt-button2?  If we
> do one, we have no way of doing the other.

In my insufficiently humble opinion, this whole "emulate three button
mouse" business is a horrible hack. There is no way to do it right; at
most, it is an emergency measure to get you through when you're stuck
doing X11 with a single button mouse. Serious users of X11 just need
to get a three (or more) button mouse. Personally, I use SideTrack on
my laptop, which lets me click buttons 2 and 3 (but not drag them)
using the trackpad. I can recommend it. I seem never to miss the
ability to drag buttons 2 and 3; the only place I can think of is
those xterm menus. (If I cared enough, I could remap them to button 1
with suitable modifiers.)

Given what I said above, it doesn't seem to be worthwhile spending a
huge amount of energy getting this right (it can't be done). But as an
emergency solution, I think it is better that the emulated buttons not
show up with the modifier set, since that is going to be what users
need more frequently. So they can't get the other; too bad, but if
something can't be done in software then it can't be done in
software. So quit agonizing over it.

- Harald