[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.1_beta2

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 15 05:34:10 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 00:01, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> With xev I see that cmd-click produces a ButtonPress event with
>> "state 0x10, button 3". I think the "state" is wrong, it should be
>> "0x0". Otherwise it is interpreted as "cmd-button3" instead of just
>> "button3", and "cmd-button3" is not associated with any action.
>
> Well, you're holding down command... so this is what makes sense to me...
>
> How would you suggest to emulate cmd-button3 or alt-button2?  If we do
> one, we have no way of doing the other.

Look at the emulation of button2 via alt-click:
If I press alt+some key, I get a KeyPress event with "state 0x2000", but
alt+click gives a ButtonPress event with "state 0x0". This is as it
should be.

For cmd+some key, I get "state 0x10", and cmd+click gives "state 0x10",
too, which is wrong. In all previous versions of Apple's or xquartz's
X11 up to and including xquartz-2.3.0, it was "state 0x0".

I don't care about cmd+mouse button. It is clear that one has to
compromise somewhere with the emulation, but the basic function "button
3" needs to be there. It is not only ctrl-button3 that doesn't work, but
also basic things that are bound to button 3 like extended selection.

I also don't care about lectures on the evils of mouse button emulation.
Whoever doesn't like it can always switch it off. There is nothing
"emergency" about it, it has worked OK for many years. I don't
understand why it should change.

--
Martin