[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.1_beta2

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 15 05:52:28 PDT 2008

+ Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr>:

> I also don't care about lectures on the evils of mouse button
> emulation.  Whoever doesn't like it can always switch it off. There
> is nothing "emergency" about it, it has worked OK for many years. I
> don't understand why it should change.

I must not have expressed myself clearly. While I still do stand by
the "emergency" label, I am not against emergency measures - far from
it, I am in favour of such. While there is no way to do this right
there is a way that is least wrong, and that is as you say, don't let
the modifier used for emulation be expressed in the state. I think it
should be implemented that way and then left alone.

My little diatribe was directed against any attempts at making this
emulation mode do everything you can do with a three button mouse,
which is just plain impossible - unless someone can come up with
something much too clever for me to imagine, in which case it is
likely too clever for the poor user as well.

- Harald