[Xquartz-dev] Initial xterm a login shell?

Pelle Johansson pelle at morth.org
Mon Dec 1 13:07:52 PST 2008

Hello,

1 dec 2008 kl. 18.11 skrev Jeremy Huddleston:

> Maybe they're using an old version of X11.  That used to be a bug.

are you sure it's a bug? For me as well it makes much more sense for
it to be a login shell. While the PATH probably is best set in .bashrc
(I don't know why the system rc doesn't do that), things like stty,
motd, fortune and perhaps even exec screen will go into .profile, and
there's really no reason those should not be executed.

I see the default xinitrc (on my system, maybe not the latest update)
will do a
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
if I disable quartz-wm. Maybe it's the pass through login that is
missing?

> On Dec 1, 2008, at 05:00, Richard Tobin wrote:
>>
>> The ancestry of the shell in the inital xterm (as shown by ps l) is
>>
>> bash
>> xterm
>> login
>> X11