[Xquartz-dev] some more "white rectangle" behaviour data

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 4 16:11:04 PST 2008

I know the white rectangle issue is not slated for 2.3.2; this is just
some more data to help characterise the issue.

My GF is running 2.3.1 in rootless mode using icewm.

If she leaves her machine she uses fast user switching to go to the login
window. On return there are large while rectangles positioned where some
former apps used to be. They behave like the X11 root window; her X11 root
window context menus function in these areas.

Restarting the window manager gets rid of most of these white rectangles;
the ones that remain appear (loosely) to be associated with things like
the mozilla/seamonkey URL bar and the URL completion drop down etc.

I am speculating that these are the window frames used by the WM for
reparenting (in the case of apps) and merely "withdrawn" windows in the
case of the ones that look like the location bar drop down.

Perhaps half the time the "white window" is not white, but has a
full seamonkey app image in it. (Usually seamonkey, anyway, when this
happens.) It is still "root window" context. If she switches _icewm_
desktops (not Spaces) to where seamonkey is active, seamonkey works. Leave
that icewm desktop and it's a plain "root" context rectangle again. I'm
guessing here backing store and the apps being iconified/deiconified
on desktop switch, but the top level apple land rectangle staying
in place. Again, an icewm restart cleans up this "seamonkey image"
remnant rectangle.

Finally, if she uses Expose's "All windows" function all the white rectangles
are represented. Iconified/withdrawn X11 apps are not.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose,
but queerer than we *can* suppose.
        - J.B.S. Haldane "On Being the Right Size"
          in the (1928) book "Possible Worlds"