[Xquartz-dev] some more "white rectangle" behaviour data

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Thu Dec 4 17:36:48 PST 2008

Quoted Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>:

> I know the white rectangle issue is not slated for 2.3.2; this is just
> some more data to help characterise the issue.
>
> My GF is running 2.3.1 in rootless mode using icewm.
>
> If she leaves her machine she uses fast user switching to go to the login
> window. On return there are large while rectangles positioned where some
> former apps used to be. They behave like the X11 root window; her X11 root
> window context menus function in these areas.
>
> Restarting the window manager gets rid of most of these white rectangles;
> the ones that remain appear (loosely) to be associated with things like
> the mozilla/seamonkey URL bar and the URL completion drop down etc.

Those sound to me like windows with the override_redirect attribute
set to True.  In which case the problem is probably not with
quartz-wm, but rather with the X11 server, or Xplugin that the X11
server uses.

> I am speculating that these are the window frames used by the WM for
> reparenting (in the case of apps) and merely "withdrawn" windows in the
> case of the ones that look like the location bar drop down.

A traditional WM should just ignore the override_redirect windows, and
not reparent them.  In fact reparenting some override_redirect windows
results in apps failing.  I learned this during an experimental
project...

> Perhaps half the time the "white window" is not white, but has a
> full seamonkey app image in it. (Usually seamonkey, anyway, when this
> happens.) It is still "root window" context. If she switches _icewm_
> desktops (not Spaces) to where seamonkey is active, seamonkey works. Leave
> that icewm desktop and it's a plain "root" context rectangle again. I'm
> guessing here backing store and the apps being iconified/deiconified
> on desktop switch, but the top level apple land rectangle staying
> in place. Again, an icewm restart cleans up this "seamonkey image"
> remnant rectangle.
>
> Finally, if she uses Expose's "All windows" function all the white rectangles
> are represented. Iconified/withdrawn X11 apps are not.

This is helpful information.  I think this will help us track it down.
  Thus far I've not been able to duplicate the problem, and it sounds
like Jeremy hasn't either from what I recall.

Thank you

George
--
http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/