[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc3

Andrew Farmer andfarm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 14:38:05 PST 2008

On 07 Dec 08, at 14:00, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2008, at 13:55, Andrew Farmer wrote:
>> I'm seeing some weird keyboard-related issues... I'm still
>> constantly getting the two messages
>>
>>   DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=7
>>   DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=5
>
> Yeah, it looks like some keypress combinations aren't reported in
> the keymap.  If you could figure out what combination triggers
> those, it'd be a big help... From what I've seen, they're mostly
> innocent.

I can't figure out what it is exactly. It doesn't appear to be
entirely deterministic.

>> in the console, along with one new one:
>>
>>   mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
>
> With 2.3.2_rc3?  Ugg.  This should be fixed now.

Cool.

>> The real issue, though, is that I'm now seeing keys "sticking"
>> again under certain circumstances. A test case is:
>>
>> * From a terminal in X11, play a video using mplayer. ("mplayer
>> video.avi")
>> * Press 'q' to stop the video.
>>
>> The terminal starts getting fed a bunch of newlines until another
>> key is pressed.
>
> I don't see this... hmm...

Odd... I'm able to get it to happen most of the time. A key factor
appears to be that holding down Enter when starting mplayer (so that
the key is down when X11 gets deactivated) appears to aggravate it. If
you're light on the keys, you might miss it.

I was able to reproduce the same issue once or twice with xev:

* Run xev.
* Switch to another application using Cmd-Tab.
* Switch back using Cmd-Tab.

A few times, on reentry to X11, I started getting a bunch of Meta_L
KeyPress events, even though I'd already let go of the key. Again,
though, it doesn't appear to be completely predictable.