[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc3

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Dec 7 15:31:34 PST 2008

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2008, at 13:55, Andrew Farmer wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing some weird keyboard-related issues... I'm still constantly
>> getting the two messages
>>
>>   DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=7
>>   DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=5
>
> Yeah, it looks like some keypress combinations aren't
> reported in the keymap. If you could figure out what
> combination triggers those, it'd be a big help... From
> what I've seen, they're mostly innocent.

I get these too.  They are related to backspaces I think,
when editing text.  The Console doesn't update quite real
time, but I think I get them pretty much any time I use the
backspace key in a way that forces a line to be redrawn in
xterm because I've erased some characters and retyped.

I just got some horrid command line editing mismatch in
xterm that triggered loads of them consistently.  What was
showing on screen didn't correspond to where the cursor was
in terms of what was getting erased or retyped.  This
happens to me all the time in Terminal.app, which is why I
prefer xterm, so I'm not best pleased to suddenly get it in
xterm as well.  I set up my prompt to appear in bold (using
vt100 escape sequences I think, I have been copying this
over from my .bashrc for years) so it is a challenging
redraw environment, but xterm usually handles it correctly.

I have a UK keyboard layout, BTW, in case a non-US keyboard
is part of the combination that triggers this.

And I'm not sure, but I think forcing a line to be redrawn
other ways may trigger them too, so in pico (say) if you do
^j to justify some text and it rearranges it.

>> in the console, along with one new one:
>>
>>   mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.

Yep, I saw some of these too.

> With 2.3.2_rc3?  Ugg.  This should be fixed now.
>
>> The real issue, though, is that I'm now seeing keys "sticking" again under

I don't see any sticky keys (but I don't run mplayer).

-- Viv