[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc3

Andrew Farmer andfarm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 17:04:30 PST 2008

On 07 Dec 08, at 15:31, Viv Kendon wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 2008, at 13:55, Andrew Farmer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm seeing some weird keyboard-related issues... I'm still
>>> constantly getting the two messages
>>>
>>>  DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=7
>>>  DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=5
>>
>> Yeah, it looks like some keypress combinations aren't reported in
>> the keymap. If you could figure out what combination triggers
>> those, it'd be a big help... From what I've seen, they're mostly
>> innocent.
>
> I get these too.  They are related to backspaces I think, when
> editing text.  The Console doesn't update quite real time, but I
> think I get them pretty much any time I use the backspace key in a
> way that forces a line to be redrawn in xterm because I've erased
> some characters and retyped.

The fact that the errors don't show up in real time makes this MUCH
harder to debug.

After some differential diagnosis (and the discovery of the fact that
the "AllocNewConnection" debug message on new windows flushes the
queue), it appears that pressing any of the arrow keys is sufficient
to produce a few "bad keycode" messages.

> I have a UK keyboard layout, BTW, in case a non-US keyboard is part
> of the combination that triggers this.

It isn't. I'm using a bog-standard US keyboard.