[Xquartz-dev] My RADAR report 6165507

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Dec 15 12:44:03 PST 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 10:57, Jamie Kennea wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2008, at 1:15 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> So, it looks like the Leopard Screen Sharing.app is working for
>> Brian but not for you... this is most off.  Brian, can you confirm
>> that the modifier settings are working as expected with Screen
>> Sharing.app?
>
> I can confirm that X11 modifier keys under the Screen Sharing.app
> doesn't work for me (including with the newly minted 10.5.6), but
> CotVNC does. Modifier keys under the Screen Sharing.app hasn't
> worked for me since 2.3.1-rc1.
>
> I thought this was a reported bug to Apple. It's troubling that they
> have blamed it on someone else, this bug causes significant
> usability issues for me with X11. I guess I should file a radar?

It was a previously reported bug, but *I* (not some bigger-than-life
"they") closed it and "blamed it on someone else" based on the
information in the email you just responded to in which Brian said,
"I'm pretty sure it's just the vncviewer. If I connect to the same vnc
server with Leopard's Screen\ Sharing.app, the modifiers get passed as
expected."  After closing the radar, Peter wrote back here (and in the
radar) that "hey, wait, that's not right" and I reopened the radar
based on his additional information indicating that this *IS* a
problem when using 100% apple provided ScreenSharing.

If anything, I'd think that the effort going into X11 shows that I'm
not trying to ignore bugs and blame other developers.  I genuinely
want to make X11.app 100% rock solid and feature rich on OSX and made
a judgement based on the information provided.  Unfortunately this
information is a bit convoluted since some people say X works with Y
server but not Z server and W works with Z server and not Y server...
but since Peter's case is using 100% apple-provided software, we know
there's an issue in our stack, so I will be pushing to get it fixed.