[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Thu Dec 18 00:42:28 PST 2008

+ Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu>:

> On Dec 17, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> * Changed how X11 applications inherit the shell environment.
>> X11.app now starts from a login shell and passes this off to its
>> children rather than starting each child from a login shell
>>   * If you are using tcsh, you may want to customize
>> /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11 (it's a shell
>> script)
>
> This isn't terribly useful on multiuser systems where different
> users have different shells.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile turning that little script into
something along the lines of

#!/bin/bash --login

if [ -x ~/.x11run ]; then
  exec ~/.x11run "$(dirname $0)"/X11.bin "${@}"
else
  exec "$(dirname $0)"/X11.bin "${@}"
fi

? That way, knowledgeable people with weird shells or odd
requirements can customize their X11 environment to their hearts'
content.

- Harald