[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Dec 18 14:26:13 PST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> What I am saying is that building a command and blindly feeding it to
> $SHELL is a singularly bad idea. I don't know if that is what you were
> suggesting, but if it was, don't go there.

 From a standards perspective, there is only one shell:  /bin/sh.
That shell must conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (AKA UNIX03) and is
thus a portable target for writing scripts for (at least, on any
UNIX03 compatible Unix such as Solaris, Mac OS X, AIX or HPUX).  Any
assumptions above and beyond that are not guaranteed to do anything
more than break as you move across platforms.

- Jordan

P.S.  Any comments on whether UNIX03, or standards of any kind, are
desirable or even relevant should be directed at /dev/null since this
is not THAT discussion, this is simply a clarification on the topic of
shells. :)