[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 18 15:00:38 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:02:18PM +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu>:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 09:42:28AM +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> >>
> >> That way, knowledgeable people with weird shells or odd
> >> requirements can customize their X11 environment to their hearts'
> >> content.
> >
> > I'm not sure tcsh or zsh should really be considered a weird shell.
>
> Those weren't the shells I had in mind. How about rc or es? I don't
> consider es weird - it is my login shell after all - but users of
> those other shells you mentioned might think it is. Or how about scsh?
> Is that weird enough for you?

Heh, I was going to bring up scsh actually as an example of a truly
weird shell.

What I mean is simply that X11 should support the shells that ship
with OS X, i.e. the *stock* /etc/shells.  This only involves two code
paths - sh and csh derivatives.

If you don't use one of those, falling back to bash seems perfectly
reasonable, perhaps with a message that indicates that you need to
edit the file you suggested.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>